The Milan Township District #83 Schoolhouse served as a center for learning from the turn of the century until 1942. In 1942, it was closed and left to deteriorate. However, the schoolhouse was given a new lease on life when it was donated to the Blackwell History of Education Museum in 1996 and then rebuilt on the campus of Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, IL.
Since 1999, the Milan Schoolhouse has been available to
teachers at elementary and middle schools for re-enactment of a typical day in a one-room schoolhouse
professors at NIU and other institutions, and teachers at high schools for classes and other events