facebook twitter flikr email   

Master's Degree in Counseling

Master's Degree in Counseling

The M.S.Ed. degree program consists of classes focused on developing a variety of skills and strategies that students will be able to utilize as they pursue counseling careers in schools, communities, hospitals, private sectors, and higher education institutions. Students will learn the necessary tools that counselors use in their daily practice and will be able to apply their learned techniques through hands-on experiences.

The M.S.Ed. program is a 60-semester-hour program including:

      • 36 hours in the core curriculum
      • 15 hours in a chosen area of study (clinical mental health or school counseling)
      • 9 semester hours in supervised practicum (100 clock hours) and internship (600 clock hours)

The M.S.Ed program has been designed to meet the needs of a diverse body of degree-seeking students. The majority of our classes are offered at night to serve the working population of our students. The main campus is in DeKalb, but classes are also available at our satellite sites in Rockford, Naperville, and Hoffman Estates. Our program takes pride in helping students move swiftly through the program whether on the full or part-time course of study. Faculty and staff are also on-hand to assist students with coursework, internship, practicum, and assistantships. We believe it is important for students and faculty to have a collaborative relationship to enhance the student’s experience in the master’s program.

School Counseling

This area consists of course work and experiences that prepare students to do counseling in a K-12 school setting. Upon completion of this 60 semester hour program students may apply for a Professional Educators License in School Counseling with the Illinois State Board of Education. This License allows students to work as a K-12 school counselor in the State of Illinois.

Clinical Mental Health Counseling

This area is designed for students seeking professional counseling positions in agencies that assist clients to resolve psychological disorders and/or developmental issues through crisis intervention, remediation, and/or primary prevention interventions. The counselors-in-training are exposed to a variety of educational experiences through practicum, internships, and specialized studies that will insure students have an appreciation for the diversity of clientele, services, and programs provided in these community agencies.