Travel Support and Grants


Request for Proposals, AY 2018-2019
Graduate Student Travel Grants

To help facilitate travel to professional meetings and conferences, at which graduate students
present the results of their academic and creative endeavors, the Graduate School invites degree-
seeking graduate students to submit travel grant proposals for AY 2018-2019.

Graduate students invited to present results of their original research or creative activity in the
form of a paper, performance/exhibition, or poster session at a professional meeting may submit a
proposal through their academic department to the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School.
Applicants, whether single authors or co-authors, must secure from their academic department or
college a minimum of $200 in support. Travel grants matching up to 100% of the support received
from either the department or the college may be awarded, up to a maximum of $500, to cover the
cost of registration, lodging, meals, and transportation.

Graduate School travel grants are considered supplemental funding. If student travel expenses are
less than anticipated, expenditures are not to be divided equally between the units.
Applications for travel grants are submitted through an electronic process See:

Eligibility Criteria

Applicants must have completed at least one academic year of graduate study at NIU. They must be in
good academic standing and have a 3.5 GPA. At the time of application, the student must have no
unresolved grade of “Incomplete.”

Applicants must be presenting results of their own original research, scholarly, or artistic
endeavors conducted while enrolled at NIU.

Applicants must be the primary author of the presentation.

Preference will be given to doctoral students or students pursuing the terminal degree in their
discipline. Late-stage dissertation and thesis writers (or authors of thesis analogues) presenting
results of their project will be advantaged in the review process. Normally, a request from a
master’s student will be considered only if the department does not offer a doctoral degree in the
student’s field of study.

The meeting or conference must be of national or international significance.

At the time of application, the applicant must be registered for classes. If traveling between
semesters, the applicant must be registered for the current semester and the semester or term
following travel.
Only one travel request per student may be funded in a fiscal year.

Applicants must not be employed at NIU as an instructor, adjunct, or regular member of the faculty.


  1. Coordinate submission of the application with your advisor and/or department chair or director
        of graduate studies. Consulting with them prior to submitting your travel grant application and
        receiving their assistance in putting together a budget will be helpful to you.

    2. Begin the application process here.

    3. Attach the proposal, which must include the following components.

         a. Title of the presentation and applicant’s name
         b. Synopsis of the presentation (500 words maximum). In the synopsis, explain the significance of
             the scholarly or artistic endeavor and its relationship to the applicant’s dissertation, thesis or
             thesis analogue. Often, you have submitted something like this if you have been proposal has been
             accepted by the conference.
         c. Justification: The justification should explain not only how the opportunity to present will
             enhance the applicant’s academic or professional experience but also why the particular forum is
             the most appropriate option.

    4. Attach confirmation of acceptance or participation.

    Proposals are reviewed at the department and college level before being reviewed by the Graduate
    School. The due dates below are the dates by which the Graduate School must receive proposals. To
    accommodate departmental and college review processes, students should submit their proposals well
    in advance of the due dates.

    Due Dates

    For travel between July 1 and August 31 (Deadline: June 15)
    For travel between September 1 and October 31 (Deadline: August 15
    For travel between November 1 and January 31 (Deadline: October 15)
    For travel between February 1 and March 31 (Deadline: January 15)
    For travel between April 1 and June 30 (Deadline: March 15)

    If traveling over two periods, the request must be submitted based on the start date of the travel.

    Applications are submitted electronically via an e-form located here:


Upon return, applicants awarded a travel grant must file a check request. A check request must be accompanied by a signed “Student Non-Employee Travel Event Request,” which is available on the
Accounting Office’s website. Original receipts must be attached to the request. Successful applicants must also file a brief assessment of the results of the presentation. Requests for reimbursement will not be approved until a final report is received.

Submit reimbursement requests and final reports to Dean, Graduate School, 230 Adams Hall.