Steven M. Howell, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Sport Management
Director of Graduate Studies
Broadly speaking, my research centers on examining the extent to which policy and policy changes inform and impact practice within the context of sport, recreation, and physical activity. More specifically, my interests focus on investigating:
- the alcohol-related behaviors of and issues surrounding college-aged students and individuals within the context of sport-specific events, activities, and services
- workplace practices and decision-making in professional sports, college athletics, and higher education
- outreach initiatives utilizing sport for social change and development
- Ph.D. Purdue University, Sport Management
- M.S. Purdue University, Chemistry
- B.S. Purdue University, Biology
- Howell, S.M., Klenosky, D.B., & McEvoy, C.D. (2015). Weather, timing, and promotions in Minor League Baseball: An examination of attendance in the International League. Journal of Applied Sport Management, 7(2), 1-19.
- Howell, S.M., Barry, A.E., & Pitney, W.A. (2015). Exploring the athletic trainer's role in assisting student-athletes presenting with alcohol-related unintentional injuries. Journal of Athletic Training, 50(9), 977-980.
- Barry, A.E., Howell, S.M., Riplinger, A., & Gardner-Piazza, A.K. (2015). Alcohol use among college athletes: Do intercollegiate, club, or intramural student athletes drink differently? Substance Use and Misuse, 50(3), 302-307.
- Looney, M.A., & Howell, S.M. (2015). International Skating Union’s mathematical criteria to flag potential scoring anomalies. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 19(1), 1-11.
- Barry, A.E., Howell, S.M., Bopp, T.D., Stellefson, M.L., Chaney, B.H., Gardner-Piazza, A.K., & Payne-Purvis, C. (2014). A field-based community assessment of intoxication levels across college football weekends: Does it matter who’s playing? Journal of Primary Prevention, 35(6), 409-416.
- LESM 341 - Administration of Intercollegiate Athletics
- LESM 365 - Communication Strategies in Sport and Exercise
- LESM 438 - Sport and Fitness Management Strategies
- LESM 442 - Promotion of Sport and Fitness Programs
- LESM 538 - Management of the Sport Enterprise
- LESM 542 - Sport Marketing and Promotions
- LESM 544 - Sport Finance
- LESM 545 - Analytic Teachniques and Trends in Sport
- LESM 550 - Sport Sponsorship and Retention
- LESM 552 - Advanced Sport Management Experience
- LESM 560 - Sport Facility and Event Management
- LESM 565 - Sport Communications
- LESM 592 - Business and Economics of Sport
- KNPE 552 - Research Methods in Kinesiology and Physical Education
Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education
Anderson Hall 221
DeKalb, IL 60115