James Cohen, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Literacy Education
- Ph.D. Arizona State University,
- M.A.T.E.S.O.L. School for International Training
- B.S., Secondary Education-English University of Wisconsin-Madison
- My research interests lie in the areas of bilingual and ESL education, Literacy instruction of immigrant and non-native English speakers, non-parallel schooled immigrant students, and undocumented immigrants.
- Cohen, J., & Wickens, C. (2015). Speaking English and the loss of heritage language. TESOL-EJ, 18(4), 1-18.
- Flynn, J., Hunt, R., Wickman, S., Cohen, J. & Fox, C. (2014). Architecting the change we want: Applied critical race theory and the foundations of a diversity strategic plan in a college of education. In Sleeter, C.L., Kumashiro, K.K. & Neal, L.I. (Eds) Diversifying the Teacher Workforce (pp.153-167). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Cohen, J., & Daniel, M.C. (2013). What is a teacher to do with a newcomer? Illinois Reading Council Journal. 41(4), 25-34.
- Daniel, M.C., & Cohen, J. (2012). Assessment: An Eye Opening Experience. In Evan Ortlieb and Earl H. Cheek, Jr. (Eds), Using informative assessments towards effective literacy instruction, Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Cohen, J. (2012). Imaginary community of the mainstream classroom: Adolescent immigrants’ perspectives. The Urban Review, 44(2), 265-280.
- Cohen, J. (2011). School environment of high school immigrants. Thresholds in Education. 36(3&4), 88-95.
- Cohen, J. (2008). Language and identity. In J. Gonzalez (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Bilingual Education (pp. 421-424). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Arias, M. B., Faltis, C. J., & Cohen, J. (2007). Adolescent immigrant students in U.S. schools: Issues of cultural pluralism, successful school settings, and intergroup relations. In G. Orfield & E. Frankenberg (Eds.), Lessons in Integration: Realizing the Promise of Racial Diversity in America's Schools (pp. 101-119). Charlottsville and London: University of Virginia Press.
- Cohen, J. (2007). A case study of a high school English-language learner and his reading. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 51(2), 164-175.
- Carrier, K., & Cohen, J. (2005). Hispanic individuals in their communities: An untapped resource for increasing the bilingual teacher population. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, 4(1), 51-63.
- MacSwan, J, Rolstad, K., & McAlister, K., Cohen, J. (2005). Introduction, pp. xxi-xxiv. In Cohen, J., McAlister, K., Rolstad, K., & MacSwan, J. (Eds.) ISB4: Proceedings of the 4thInternational Symposium on Bilingualism. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Cohen, J., McAlister, K., Rolstad, K., & MacSwan, J. (Eds.) (2005). ISB4:Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Bilingualism. Vols. 1-5. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press. Xxiv + 2,455 pages.
- Carrier, K., & Cohen, J. (2003). Personal and professional success in a bilingual teacher training project. NABE Journal of Research and Practice, 1(1), 50-69.
- Cohen, J. A., & Wickens, C. M. (2012, April). Influence of teachers’ perspectives on their English Learners in their classrooms. Paper presented at International Reading Association, Chicago, IL.
- Cohen, J. & Wickens, C. (2011, Nov.). Perspectives of Three undocumented immigrants. Paper presented the Annual Conference of the National Council of Teachers of English, Chicago, IL.
- Cohen, J. & Segundo, V. (2011, Dec.). Undocumented immigrants: What you should know. Paper presented at the Thirty-Fifth Annual Statewide Conference for Teachers of Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students, Oakbrook, IL.
- Cohen, J. (2010, October). High School English Learners and their experiences. Early Career Scholars Lecture Series for ERC/TERC, Cambridge, MA.
- Cohen, J. (2010, Dec.). Missed Opportunities: The Disconnect Between School Program and Classroom Practice paper presented at the Thirty-Fourth Annual Statewide Conference for Teachers of Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students, Oakbrook, IL.
- Cohen, J. (2010, Feb.). Perspectives of an Adolescent Mexican Immigrant. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association of Bilingual Education, Denver, CO.
- Cohen, J. (2010, Feb.). High school English learners and the research literature devoted to them: A Review. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association of Bilingual Education, Denver, CO.
- Cohen, J. (2009, Nov.). Raising a toddler bilingually in a monolingual society with both parents in academia: Cake walk it is not. Paper presented at American Educational Studies Association Annual Meeting, Pittsburg, PA.
- Cohen, J. (2009, June). Infusing ELL Content into Secondary Education Programs Facilitator at the State University Dean's Conference on English Language Learners, Illinois State University, Bloomington, IL.
- Cohen, J. (April, 2009). Perspectives: Bilingual principal, teacher and students regarding educating English learners. Panel presentation as part of WIU-COEHS Week. Western Illinois University-Quad Cities.
- Cohen, J. (2009, March). Perspectives of an Undocumented Transnational Mexican Immigrant. Paper presented at Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Cohen, J. (2009, Jan.). Adolescent immigrants in an ESL classroom: Their thoughts and perspectives. Paper presented at the 32nd Annual Statewide conference for Teachers Serving Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students.
- LTIC 700: Seminar on Language and Identity
- LTIC 700: Seminar on English as a lingua franca
- LTIC 400: Introduction to Teaching English Language Learners in schools
- EPFE 505: Foundations of Language Minority Education
- LTIC 420: Methods and Materials for teaching English Language Learners in the Content Areas
- LTIC 520: Methods and Materials for Teaching English as a Second Language Foundations of Education for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
- LTIC 501: Cultural Studies of Second Language Learners in The Classroom
- NIU Latino Resource Center: Recognized as an Exceptional Outreach Professor for the Latino Community, May 7, 2015.
- NIU Presidential Commission on the Status of Minorities Deacon Davis Diversity Award as a member of the NIU College of Education Diversity Committee (2014)
- NIU Presidential Commission on the Status of Minorities Deacon Davis Diversity Award-Individual Recipient (2013)
- Winner of the NIU Presidential Commission on the Status of Minorities Deacon Davis Diversity Award (2013)
- Winner of the Alyce Kramer Marcus Exceptional Teacher Award, December, 2012
- AERA Early Career Scholars Fellowship, Division G. 2006-2010
- Go Teacher Reproduction Grant, Kansas State University and the Ministry of Education of Ecuador. Notification of Award, November 20, 2014 funded for January 15, 2015 – August 15, 2015 for $777,000.
- Project DREAMS (Development of Reading, ESL, early childhood, Mathematics, Science). A U.S. Department of Education, Office of English Language Acquisition Professional Development grant. October, 2011- December 2016. $1.8 million.
Gabel Hall 147
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Gabel Hall 147