Christine Rienstra Kiracofe, Ed.D.
Professor, Educational Administration
Adjunct Professor, College of Law
Department:Leadership, Educational Psychology and Foundations (LEPF)
Christine Rienstra Kiracofe is a Professor at Northern Illinois University where she teaches Education Law, Education Finance and Legal Aspects of School Business Management. Dr. Kiracofe holds a B.A. from Kalamazoo College and M.A. and Ed.D. degrees from the University of Georgia where her doctoral work was completed in the College of Education and the School of Law. In 2013 Dr. Kiracofe also completed a 40 hour program in Legal Mediation through Northwestern University.
She has authored more than 30 articles, books, and book chapters and her work has been cited in law reviews, education finance literature, and court documents. Dr. Kiracofe is a member of the Education Law & Policy Review Editorial Board, the Journal of Education Finance Editorial Board, the Educational Considerations Editorial Board and has been a member of the Authors’ Committee for West’s Education Law Reporter since 2005. In 2013 she was named a Distinguished Research & Practice Fellow by the National Education Finance Conference (National Education Finance Academy).
Ed.D. University of Georgia, Educational Administration (emphasis on Education Law and Finance)
M.A. University of Georgia, Art History
B.A. Kalamazoo College, Art History and Health Sciences
- Kiracofe, C. and Atwood, N. (2016). Giving Kids a [Required] Shot: Mandatory Vaccination Laws and Exceptions for Public K-12 Students in the United States. West's Education Law Reporter, 324, 611-626.
- Coleman, S. and Kiracofe, C. (2015). Student Cyber Speech and the Law: What Administrators Need to Know. The Journal of School Business Management. Spring/Summer 2015, 30-35.
- Wood, R.C., Thompson, D., Dayton, J., and Kiracofe, C. (2015). Education Finance Law: Constitutional Challenges to State Aid Plans--An Analysis of Strategies (4th Ed.). Cleveland, OH: Education Law Association.
- Summers, K., Crawford, J. & Kiracofe, C. (2014). A Legal and Statistical Analysis of Illinois School Funding in Light of Pending Litigation in Chicago Urban League v. Illinois. West's Education Law Reporter, 309, 595-617.
- Kiracofe, C. (2014). Serial and Second Generation School Finance Litigation: 2003-2013. West's Education Law Reporter, 299, 1-14.
- Dayton, J., & Kiracofe, C. (2013). Illinois Education Law: A State Law Companion to Education Law Principles, Policies, and Practice. Bangor, Maine: Wisdom Builders Press, 249 pgs.
- Kiracofe, C. (2013). The Constitutional Parameters of Renting Public School Space for Weekend Worship Services: An Analysis of 15+ Years of Case Law in Bronx Household of Faith v. New York. West's Education Law Reporter, 287, 663-688.
- Kiracofe, C., & Safransky, R. J. (2012). Chapter 14: Should school districts charge additional fees for academic programs such as advanced placement classes?. In William E. Thro (Ed.), (pp. 225-239). Thousand Oaks, California: SAGE Publications.
- Kiracofe, C. (2012). When State Constitutional Arguments Fail: Challenging School Finance Inequities under the Illinois Civil Rights Act. West's Education Law Reporter, 273, 479-502.
- Kiracofe, C. (2012). School District Governance and Finance. In Allan Osborne, Jr. & Nathan Roberts (Ed.), (pp. 132-154). Dayton, Ohio: Education Law Association.
- Kiracofe, C. (2011). Goin' to the Chapel and we're gonna . . . Graduate? : Does Holding Public School Graduation Ceremonies in Religiously-Affiliated Buildings Run Afoul of the Establishment Clause?. West's Education Law Reporter, 266, 583-610.
Department of Leadership, Educational Psychology and Foundations
Graham Hall 223