Department of Literacy Education
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Department of Literacy Education.
The Department of Literacy Education prepares socially responsible practioner scholars to work and learn within multicultural and multilingual contexts. The department is committed to responsive teaching, learning, and leadership in the fields of literacy, science, and social studies for all learners. As the Department of Literacy Education we promote:
Social justice and equitable education for all learners
Collaboration, partnership, and outreach
Our undergraduate and graduate degree programs propel our students to careers as classroom teachers, reading specialists, teachers of English learners, college/university professors, and policymakers in all facets of the education profession.
Please use this website as your first introduction to the ways in which the Department of Literacy Education can help you reach your intellectual, academic, and career goals.
Dr. Jennifer Berne
Chair, Department of Literacy Education
- New Cohort for Fall 2013 Master of Arts in Teaching degree.
- NIU honors Dr. Paul Kelter with a Board of trustees Professorship and Dr. Laurie Elish Pipher as a Presidential Engagement Professor.
- The Illinois Reading Conference names Dr. Donna Werderich as College Reading Instructor of the year.
- Join us at the 40th Annual Literacy conference focused on the Common Core, June 10-13. Earn course credit toward a middle/high school reading teacher endorsement at the conference. For information on this new cohort, click here.
- Congratulations to the 2012 Department of Literacy Outstanding Alumni Award winners Dr. Carolyn Riley and Ms. Mary Gardner.