LTCY Faculty & Staff
John Evar Strid
- Ph.D., Linguistics. Northwestern University, Evanston, Il.
- M.A., Latin American Literature and Culture, Linguistics, Northeastern Illinois University
- M.A., Linguistics, Northeastern Illinois University
- B.A., French and History. Kalamazoo College
Dr. Strid teaches graduate and undergraduate classes in applied linguistics, language development, and bilingualism and reading. His research interests include psycholinguistics, bilingualism, language processing, literacy, first and second language acquisition, teaching English as second language, and L2 writing.
- Strid, J. E. (2012). “La interpretación de género en El vampiro de la colonia Roma” RevistaValenciana. (Accepted for review).
- Strid, J. E. & Booth, James (2010). “Visual Word Access in Monolinguals and Bilinguals in English and Spanish.” In Caldwell, E.F, (Ed.), Bilinguals: Cognition, Education and Language Processing. Hauppauge NY:Nova Science Publishers, 123-46.
- Strid, J. E. & Booth, James (2007). “The Effect of Phonological Structure on Visual Word Access in Adult Bilinguals.” Journal of Psycholinguistic Research 36(5), 383-409.
- Howard, E. &Sugarman, J. (2007). Realizing the Vision of Two-Way Immersion: Fostering Effective Programs and Classrooms. Washington, D.C.: Center for Applied Linguistics (Research Assistant).
- Marian et al. (2007). The Language Experience and Proficiency Questionnaire (LEAP-Q): Assessing Language Profiles in Bilinguals and Monolinguals” Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 50(3): 940-967 (Contributor).
- Lidz, J. et al. (2004). “Quantifier Raising in 4-year-olds.”Proceedings of the Annual Boston University Conference on Language Development. Cambridge, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Strid, J. E. (2012). “Reading in Two Languages: Bilingualism and Literacy.” Paper presented at Northeastern Illinois University Linguistics Department Colloquim.
- Strid, J.E. (2005). “The Acquisition of Pro-forms in Bilinguals: Pro-drop vs. Non Pro-drop.” Poster presented at the International Symposium on Bilingualism, Barcelona, Spain.
- Strid J.E. & Booth, J., (2003).“The Effect of Different Orthographies on Phonological Priming.” Poster presented at the Society for the Scientific Study of Reading, Boulder, Co. and at Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders Research Forum.
- Strid J.E. (2003). “The Effect of Different Orthographies on Phonological Priming.” Talk presented at Northwestern University Research Symposium.
- Strid J.E. &Schrauf, R. (2002). “Source Monitoring in Bilinguals: the ability to remember the language of presentation.” Talk presented at Northwestern University Linguistics Symposium.
- Strid, J.E. (1998). “Coherence in the Narrative and Persuasive Writing of Adolescents.” Talk presented at Illinois TESOL, Chicago, Il.
LTIC 545: Applied Linguistics for Teachers in Multilingual Classrooms
LTLA 305X: Language Development