Xiaodan Hu, Ph.D. is an assistant professor in higher education, and coordinator of the Community College Leadership Program. Professor Hu teaches courses related to higher education administration, finance and policy, college student success and community college leadership.
Her research typically employs quantitative methods to examine the impact of state policies and institutional initiatives, focusing on educational equity issues of historically marginalized student population. She also studies the role of leadership and best practices in community colleges. Hu has recently published on the impact of performance-based funding, the pathway of upward transfer, and the financial implications of community college baccalaureate programs.
- Ph.D., University of Florida (Higher Education Administration)
- M.S., Texas A&M University (Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education)
- B.A., Beijing Forestry University (English)
Select Refereed Publications
- Chen, Y., and Hu, X. (in press). The nudge to finish up: A national study of community college near-completion students. Research in Higher Education.
- Ortagus, J. C., and Hu, X. (2020). A national evidence of the financial implications of community college baccalaureate adoption. The Journal of Higher Education, advance online publication.
- Hu, X. (2019). Efficiency for whom?: Varying impact of performance-based funding on community colleges in Louisiana. Community College Review, 47(4), 323-359.
- Hu, X., and Ortagus, J. C. (2019). A national study of the influence of the community college pathway on female students’ STEM baccalaureate success. Community College Review, 47(3), 242-273.
- Hu, X., and Villarreal, P. (2019). Public tuition on the rise: Estimating the effects of Louisiana’s performance-based funding policy on institutional tuition levels. Research in Higher Education, 60(5), 636-669.
- Ortagus, J. C., and Hu, X. (2019). Does the community college pathway influence the selectivity of the students’ destination 4-year institution? Community College Review, 47(4), 434-461.
- Ortagus, J. C., and Hu, X. (2019). The price of mission complexity: A national study of the impact of community college baccalaureate adoption on tuition and fees. Educational Researcher, 48(8), 504-520.
- Hu, X., Ortagus, J. C., and Kramer, D. A. (2018). The community college pathway: An analysis of the costs associated with enrolling initially at a community college before transferring to a four-year institution. Higher Education Policy, 31(3), 359-380.