Educational Research and Evaluation
If you believe there's power in data, our master's program in Educational Research and Evaluation will enable you to prove and harness that. We prepare professionals to make the most of data through educational assessment, evaluation, and qualitative and quantitative research. You'll learn to plan and design educational evaluations; implement and interpret qualitative and statistical data analytic procedures; and relate the findings to educational and social science policy. Graduate certificates of study are available in Advanced Qualitative Methodology in Education, Advanced Quantitative Methodology in Education and Response to Intervention.
Choose Your DisciplineOur general track allows you to focus on a specific discipline.
- Advanced Quantitative Methods prepares you for a career as a data analyst and statistician in educational, business and professional settings, as well as in governmental agencies.
- Assessment furthers your knowledge of the theory and practice of assessment; this specialization also provides opportunities for teacher professional development.
- Program Evaluation prepares you for a career as an evaluator for school districts, business and professional organizations, culturally based institutions and military and government agencies.
If you hold a baccalaureate degree (or higher), submit your application and application fee, letters of recommendation, official test scores (GRE or MAT), statement of purpose and official transcripts from all institutions attended. International students must also submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
During your program of study, you will:
- Design a study of an educational research problem or phenomenon using appropriate methodologies.
- Design and/or select appropriate assessment or evaluation tools for a given educational problem.
- Distinguish between ethical and unethical behavior when conducting educational research or evaluations.
- Select appropriate analyses for a given research question.
- Apply appropriate technology to conduct analyses of educational data.
- Conduct a study pertaining to an educational research problem or phenomenon.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills by presenting and defending a research project.
- Engage in research-related activities in diverse settings.
We're the state's largest public university producer of Educational Technology graduates. Our department is ranked as "Recognized Publishing Activity" by Cabell's 2016 IPA Report. The ranking acknowledges institutions with authors published in journals listed in the "Educational Technology Systems" and "Tests, Measurement and Evaluation" categories. We're one of three public universities in Illinois that hold this ranking, which is currently bestowed on only 120 of 2,000 institutions in the United States.
According to Learn.org:
Work for a postsecondary institution, research firm, education board or government agency.
Become a professor of education to teach classes, conduct research and publish your findings in books or peer-reviewed journals.
Research curriculum improvement, teacher education or English as a Second Language.
Collaborate with other instructors from psychology, sociology or political science.
- ETR 501 Proseminar in Educational Research and Evaluation (3)
- ETR 520 Introduction to Research Methods in Education (3)
- ETR 521 Educational Statistics I (3)
- ETR 525 Qualitative Research in Education (3)
- ETR 528 Educational Assessment (3)
- ETR 529 Principles of Educational Measurement (3)
- ETR 586 Internship in Research and Evaluation (3-15)
- ETR 587 Practicum in Educational Research and Evaluation (1-6)
One of the following:
- ETR 699A Master's Thesis
- ETR 699B Master's Project
- ETR 699C Master's Portfolio
The Department of Educational Technology, Research and Assessment also offers three 18-credit Certificates of Graduate Study (CGS) related to educational research and assessment. Such CGSs can be earned on their own, or in combination with another graduate degree, and equip students with specialized qualitative research, quantitative research, or assessment expertise.
Educational Technology, Research and Assessment
Gabel Hall 208
DeKalb, IL 60115