Illinois Licensure Testing
Library Information Specialist or Technology Specialist entitlement students are required to pass three tests (subject to change):
Before Admission to a teacher licensure program:
- Basic Skills Test, Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP, Test number 400) or ACT plus writing/SAT.
- Licensed IL teachers who passed Basic Skills Test 096 or 300 do not need to take the TAP.
- Licensed teachers who never took these tests, including teachers from out-of-state, will need to pass the TAP or equivalent.
- Test of Academic Proficiency Workshops at NIU
- Please check with the Regional Office of Education(ROE) or ISBE for clarification.
Before final field experience take the appropriate content test:
- Library Information Specialist is test number 175
- Technology Specialist is test number 178
APT (Before entitlement) or edTPA (For initial licensure, during final field experience)
- Assessment of Professional Teaching is required if expanding grade level of license. (APT, Test number 188).
- Teacher’s who have previously passed an APT test, do not need to take another.
NIU Students Only
When you are about to finish your Library Information Specialist or Technology Specialist coursework, contact the ETRA graduate advisor at 815-753-6085.