Reading Specialist Certification
This certification is for professional educators who already hold a master's degree and have ccompleted an approved K-12 reading specialist preparation program. If you have completed the NIU M.S.Ed. in Literacy Education with Focus on Reading since 2002, you are qualified for this certification.
- Must hold a professional educator license (PEL)
- Two years of full-time teaching experience
- Have a master’s degree or higher
- Complete an approved K-12 reading specialist preparation program
- Successfully pass the reading specialist content test (176)
- Successfully pass a test of basic skills
Targets: deep understanding of reading and reading instruction; understands how to diagnose reading disabilities and how to teach and support the education of students with reading disabilities; understands how to interpret and use reading research; leadership in curriculum design and implementation; provides leadership in staff development; communicates and work with the public and other professionals; secures and manages instructional resources; and has high professional standards.
Interested? Read how to apply or contact Corrine Wickens at (815) 753-8485 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Gabel Hall 147