Stephen M. Tonks, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Educational Psychology
- Reading motivation and engagement
- Measurement of motivation
- Expectancy-value theory and self-determination theory
- Cross-cultural research on motivation
- Japanese culture and education
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, Human Development and Educational Psychology
- B.A. University of Michigan, Psychology and German
Selected Courses Taught
- EPS 300: Educational Psychology
- EPS 418: Human Motivation and Learning
- EPS 501: Psychological Foundations of Education
- EPS 504: Psychology of Education in the Elementary and Middle School Years
- EPS 518: Motivation in the Classroom
- EPS 707: Human Development and Educational And Social Policy
- EPS 713: Advanced Educational Psychology
- EPS 718: Research Seminar in Motivation and Education
- Magliano, J. P., Higgs, K., Santuzzi, A., Tonks, S. M., O’Reilly, T. P., Sabatini, J. P., Feller, D., Kopatich, R., Ray, M. N., Parker, C. P. (2020). Testing the inference mediation hypothesis in a post-secondary context. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 61, 101867.
- Davis, M. H., Wang, W., Kingston, N., Hock, M., Tonks, S. M., and Tiemann, G. (2020). A computer adaptive measure of reading motivation. Journal of Research in Reading, 43, 434-453.
- Tonks, S. M., Wigfield, A., & Eccles, J. S. (2018). Expectancy-value theory in cross-cultural perspective: What have we learned in the last 15 years? In D. M. McInerney and G. A. D. Liem (Eds.), Research on sociocultural influences on motivation and learning volume 4: Big theories revisited (2nd Edition), (pp. 91-116). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Press.
- Davis, M. H., Tonks, S. M., Hock, M., Wang, W., and Rodriguez, A. (2018). A review of reading motivation scales. Reading Psychology, 39, 121-187.
- Shernoff, D. J., Kelly, S., Tonks, S. M., Anderson, B., Cavanagh, R. F., Sinha, S., and Abdi, B. (2016). Student engagement as a function of environmental complexity in high school classrooms. Learning and Instruction, 43, 52-60.
- Wigfield, A., Tonks. S., and Klauda, S. L. (2016). Expectancy-value theory. In K. R. Wentzel and David B. Miele (Eds.), Handbook of motivation at school (2nd Edition), (pp. 55-74). New York: Routledge.
- Durik, A. M., and Tonks, S. M. (2015). Beyond success: The potential of imbuing memories with task value. Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition, 4, 381-382.
- Tonks, S. M., and Taboada, A. (2011). Developing self-regulated readers through instruction for reading engagement. In B. J. Zimmerman and D. H. Schunk (Eds.), Handbook of self-regulation of learning and performance (pp. 173-186). New York: Routledge.
- Taboada, A., Tonks, S. M., Wigfield, A. and Guthrie, J. (2009). Effects of motivational and cognitive variables on reading comprehension. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 22, 85-106.
Department of Leadership, Educational Psychology and Foundations
Graham Hall 223