Instructional Technology, M.S.Ed.
If you're ready to become a trailblazer in the kind of technology that teaches, and if you'd also like to apply a graduate-level preparation in school settings, our 33-hour master's degree in Instructional Technology equips you to fling open those doors. By earning our M.S.Ed. degree (offered online, face-to-face and blended), you'll thrive as a competent and creative leader in instructional development in business and industrial training settings or producer of software in a variety of locations. At the same time, you can choose to complete an additional endorsement for your State of Illinois K-12 Entitlement as a library information specialist, technology specialist or computer science teacher. Our program meets Illinois State Board of Education standards.
Choose Your Track
- Instructional Technology Generalist: You'll develop competencies in performance technology; instructional software design and development; information access; materials selection and evaluation; media administration; program evaluation; instructional design, development and evaluation; and more.
- Library Information Specialist: You'll help to keep libraries vital with coursework in cataloging and classification; reference theory; media for young adults; school library media centers; information access; and more.
- K-12 Technology Specialist: New cohorts begin each year, and the program can be completed in just four semesters. You'll enjoy professional collaboration and the continuity of a cohort through shared experiences and networking.
- K-12 Computer Science: This fully online endorsement, with coursework closely aligned with standards of the K-12 Computer Science Teachers Association, provides the core knowledge and skills to teach and design courses related to computer science in K-12 settings.
Certificates of Graduate Study
We also offer certificates of graduate study related to instructional technology. Certificates can be earned on their own, or in combination with another graduate degree.
- If you hold a baccalaureate degree (or higher), submit your application and application fee, letters of recommendation, official test scores (GRE or MAT), a statement of purpose and official transcripts from all institutions attended.
- International students must also submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- All application materials must be uploaded through CollegeNet. Create your own account to get started.
- GRE waivers are available in certain situations, please contact Judy Puskar, academic program advisor, at email@example.com for more information.
You will harness technology that enriches learning by gaining knowledge and expertise through the ability to:
- Analyze performance and instructional problems and design solutions.
- Understand and apply sound design principles.
- Integrate instructional media and strategies into the development of instructional materials.
- Develop instructional and performance strategies for school or non-school settings.
- Manage instructional technology projects and programs.
- Apply evaluation techniques to measure student learning and the effectiveness of instructional technology-based products and programs.
- ETT 510 Instructional Media and Technology
- ETT 511 Advanced Media Design (Message Design) or
- ETT 531: Visual Literacy)
- ETT 530 Instructional Technology Tools
- ETT 555: Multi-Media Design)
- ETR 520 Introduction to Educational Research or
- ETR 519: Applied Educational Research or
- ETR 531: Program Evaluation
- ETT 535 Distance Education Design and Delivery or
- ETT 536: Web Based Learning
- ETT 553 Professional Standards in Instructional Technology
- ETT 570 Instructional Technology Administration
- ETT 573 Instructional Technology Facilities or
- ETT 592 Networking
- ETT 586 Internship and/or
- ETT 569 Practicum
Approved Electives (2)
Comprehensive exam in the form of a portfolio.
We're the state's largest public university producer of Educational Technology graduates. Our online M.S.Ed. in Instructional Technology program is among our online graduate programs ranked No. 28in the country for 2022, according to U.S. News & World Report. This marks our tenth consecutive spot among the nation's top ten percent. Our faculty-designed online graduate courses continue to receive the Blackboard Best Online Course Design Award.
Careers in Instructional Technology
- Course developer or designer
- Technology coordinator
- Online learning specialist
- Web-based learning manager
- Multimedia designer
- Technology integration specialist
- Computer learning lab coordinator
- Instructional designer
- Learning applications (apps) designer
- Virtual reality specialist
- Flipped classroom developer
- Web instructor
- Online teacher, mentor or trainer
- Computer mediated learning metrics manager
- Distance learning director
- Educational software consultant