Pi-Sui Hsu, Ph.D.
College of Education Senior Faculty Fellow (2020-2022)
Technology integration in science teaching and learning
- Ph.D., Instructional Systems, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- M.A., Instructional Technology and Media, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY
Hsu, P.-S., Al-Ararah, R., and Mukhopadhyay, S. (2020). Exploring collaborative scientific argumentation in science classrooms. Middle Grades Review, 6(1), Article 6.
Hsu, P.-S., Lee, E. M., Ginting, S., Smith, T. J., and Kraft, C. (2019). A case study exploring non-dominant youth’s attitudes toward science through Making and scientific argumentation. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 17(Suppl 1), 185-207.
Hsu, P.-S., Van Dyke, M., Smith, T. J., and Looi, C.-K. (2018). Argue like a scientist with technology: the effect of within-gender versus cross-gender team argumentation on science knowledge and argumentation skills among middle-level students. Educational Technology Research and Development, 66(3), 733-766.
Hsu, P.-S., Ginting, S., and Van Dyke, M. (2018). Development of an online graph-oriented collaborative argumentation tool for middle school students: A faculty expert’s perspective. International Journal of Designs for Learning, 9(1), 171-178.
Hsu, P.-S., Van Dyke, M., and Smith, T. J. (2017). The effect of varied gender groupings on argumentation skills among middle school students in different cultures. Middle Grades Review, 3(2), Article 4.
Hsu, P.-S. (2016). Examining current beliefs, practices and barriers about technology integration: A case study. Tech Trends, 60(1), 30-40.
Hsu, P.-S., Adulseranee, R., Newman, E., Underwood, J., Wills, C., and Van Dyke, M. (2016). Designing an online collaborative tool for middle school students. International Journal of Designs for learning, 7(3), 34-41. https://doi.org/10.14434/ijdl.v7i3.13469
Hsu, P.-S., Van Dyke, M., and Chen, Y., Smith, T. J. (2016). A cross-cultural study of the effect of a project-based learning environment that incorporates a graph-oriented, computer-assisted application on middle school students’ science knowledge and scientific argumentation. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 32(1), 51-76.
Hsu, P.-S., Van Dyke, M., and Chen, Y. (2015). Examining the effect of teacher guidance on collaborative argumentation in middle level classrooms. RMLE Online: Research in Middle Level Education, 38(9), 1-11.
Hsu, P.-S., Van Dyke, M., Chen, Y., and Smith, T. J. (2015). The effect of a graph-oriented computer-assisted project-based learning environment on argumentation skills. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 31(1), 32-58.
- College of Education Senior Faculty Fellow, Northern Illinois University, 2020-2022 ($3,500 per year)
- College of Education EdLead Fellow (leadership education and development program led by the Dean), 2019-2020
- Invited Research Colloquium, College of Education of University of South Carolina, Columbia SC, 02/2019
- College of Education Faculty Mentor Award, Northern Illinois University, 2017
- College of Education Nomination Finalists for Excellence in Teaching Award, Northern Illinois University, 2016
- College of Education Faculty Mentor Award, Northern Illinois University, 2016
- Induction in the Zeta Gama Chapter of Phi Beta Delta, NIU's honor society for international educators that recognizes scholarly achievement in international education, 11/2016
- Co-recipient of First Prize Winner, Cengage Learning Award for Innovative Excellence in the Teaching of Chinese as a Foreign Language from the Chinese Language Teachers Association in the United States, 11/2015