Steven M. Howell, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Sport Management
Acting Associate Chair
Broadly speaking, my research centers on examining the extent to which policy and policy changes inform and impact practice within the context of sport, recreation, and physical activity. More specifically, my interests focus on investigating:
- the alcohol-related behaviors of and issues surrounding college-aged students and individuals within the context of sport-specific events, activities, and services
- workplace practices and decision-making in professional sports, college athletics, and higher education
- outreach initiatives utilizing sport for social change and development
- Ph.D. Purdue University, Sport Management
- M.S. Purdue University, Chemistry
- B.S. Purdue University, Biology
Selected Recent Publications
- Wright, P.M., Jacobs, J., Howell, S., & Ressler, J.D. (2018). Immediate outcomes and implementation of a sport for development coach education programme in Belize. Journal of Sport for Development, 6(10), 51-65.
- Menaker, B., Barry, A.E., & Howell, S.M. (2018). Identifying the influence of opponent ranking and game characteristics on alcohol-related stadium ejections. Journal of Primary Prevention, 39(2), 117-128.
- Simmons, J.M., Popp, N., McEvoy, C., & Howell, S. (2017). Tomorrow’s fans gone today: Assessing constraints to student attendance at college football games. Journal of Applied Sport Management, 9(3), 13-23.
- Wahl-Alexander, Z., Howell, S.M., & Rosse-Richards, K.A. (2017). Summer camp counselors’ perceived competency, prior to, and following staff training. Journal of Outdoor Recreation, Education, and Leadership, 9(3), 298-313.
- Howell, S.M., Barry, A.E., & Pitney, W.A. (2015). Exploring the athletic trainer's role in assisting student-athletes presenting with alcohol-related unintentional injuries. Journal of Athletic Training, 50(9), 977-980.
Recently Funded Projects
- Wright, P. (P.I.), Howell, S.M. (co-P.I.), Jacobs, J. (co-P.I.), & Ressler, J. (co-P.I.). (July 2017-December 2018). Empowering New Voices through Education and Sport Training (ENVEST): Sri Lanka. United States Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (federal). $50,158.00 awarded.
- LESM 341 - Administration of Intercollegiate Athletics
- LESM 360 - Sport Event and Facility Management
- LESM 365 - Communication Strategies in Sport and Exercise
- LESM 438 - Sport and Fitness Management Strategies
- LESM 442 - Promotion of Sport and Fitness Programs
- LESM 536 - Sport Industry and Organizations
- LESM 538 - Management of the Sport Enterprise
- LESM 542 - Sport Marketing and Promotions
- LESM 544 - Sport Finance
- LESM 545 - Analytic Teachniques and Trends in Sport
- LESM 550 - Sport Sponsorship and Retention
- LESM 552 - Advanced Sport Management Experience
- LESM 560 - Sport Facility and Event Management
- LESM 565 - Sport Communications
- KNPE 552 - Research Methods in Kinesiology and Physical Education