Bachelor of Science in Sport Management
If you’re passionate about working behind-the-scenes in the rapidly growing sport industry, check out NIU’s experiential and research-informed Sport Management major. We will prepare you for the extensive career opportunities that are available with professional franchises, collegiate athletic departments, marketing and management firms, parks and recreation operations and more. Our strong relationships with Chicagoland’s many sport organizations and with NIU’s NCAA Division I athletics program will provide students with outstanding experiences for hands-on learning and networking.
You can also pursue the Sport Sales Minor, the only one of its kind in the country. In collaboration with NIU’s renowned Sales Program, housed in the College of Business, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in real sport sales experiences. Through the College of Education’s Engage U.S. series, students pursuing the M.S. degree in Sport Management have traveled for behind-thescenes looks at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the NCAA Hall of Champions (where they heard from NCAA professionals discuss current issues in the industry) and Purdue University’s Mackey Arena. Similar experiences will be offered in the new undergraduate program.
- Students admitted to NIU to pursue the B.S. degree in Sport Management enter directly into the major program.
- Retention in this major requires a university GPA of 2.5 or above and to have satisfactorily completed all required coursework prior to the culminating internship.
- Grades of C or better are required in specific courses
The NIU College of Education embeds diverse, real-world learning opportunities in its programs, including Sport Management
- Students select internship sites (with faculty guidance) that align with future career goals. Sites will include professional sports and college athletics organizations, NIU Athletics, local parks and recreation operations and private sport management firms.
- Class trips, networking opportunities and guest speakers will enrich the program and provide students opportunities to interact with sport industry professionals
- If you choose to live in Stevenson Towers' Sport, Recreation and Wellness Community, you can participate in intramural leagues, weekend trips and monthly workshops which will enhance your personal wellness as well as connect you with other students who share your interest in sport and recreation.
- KNPE 310 Psychological Aspects of Sport and Exercise (3)
- KNPE 393 Social Aspects of Sport (3)
- LESM 201 Introduction to Sport Management (3)
- LESM 350 Sport Sales and Sponsorship (3)
- LESM 360 Sport Event and Facility Management (3)
- LESM 438 Sport Management Strategies (3)
- LESM 439 Legal and Ethical Aspects of Sport (3)
- LESM 442 Promotion and Marketing of Sport Programs (3)
- LESM 444 Finance in the Sport Industry (3)
- LESM 486 Internship in Sport Management (9-15)
Alumni of our M.S. degree program are employed by the Chicago Cubs, the Chicago White Sox, the Chicago Bulls, the Chicago Sky, the Chicago Bears, the Chicago Blackhawks and many other teams in Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the National Football League and the National Hockey League as well as Intercollegiate Athletics programs.
“Our professors prepare you for the next steps after college. They introduce you to people in your field and allow you to network and ask questions. It is extremely hands-on, and has been a life-changing experience for me.” by Mikerra Hall, Sport Management Major
“Professor Jenn Jacobs makes her “Psychology of Sport” class so interactive and interesting that I’ve never loved a class more. Being a Division I athlete, and navigating my own mental trials, her class has helped me personally – and is making me consider a career in this field.” by Maddie Mackey, Sport Management Major
- Academic Programs
- Program Overview
- Athletic Training (M.S.A.T.)
- Kinesiology (B.S.)
- Sport Management (B.S.)
- Physical Education (B.S.Ed.)
- Accelerated B.S in Kinesiology/M.S. in Athletic Training
- Accelerated B.S./M.S. in Sport Management
- Kinesiology and Physical Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Sport Management (M.S.)
- Kinesiology and Physical Education (Ph.D.)