James D. Ressler, Ph.D.
Professor, Physical Education Teacher Education
Kinesiology and Physical Education
- Teacher Preparation
- School and University Partnerships
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Ph.D. The Ohio State University, Physical Education Teacher Education
- M.S. Eastern Illinois University, Athletic Administration
- B.A. Baldwin-Wallace College, Physical Education and Sport Management
- Anderson, J., Ressler, J., & Wahl-Alexander, Z. (2022). Increasing self-efficacy of preservice teachers in early field experiences. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance, 93(7), 26-30.
- Tsuda, E., Ward, P., Ressler, J., Wyant, J., He, Y., Kim, I., & Santiago, J. (2022). Basketball Common Content Knowledge Assessment Validation. International Journal of Kinesiology in Higher Education.
- Ressler, M.B., Ressler, J., and Gordon, B. (2021). Preparing New Zealand's Teachers to Use Culturally Responsive Relationship-Based Pedagogies. International Journal of Teacher Education and Professional Development. 19-33.
- Ressler, J., Culp, B., Landi, D. and Bainbridge, J. (2021). Social justice and SEL: case studies of promising practices. In P. Wright and K.A.R. Richards (Eds). Integrating Social and Emotional Learning into Physical Education and Beyond. Human Kinetics.
- Ressler, J. and Wahl-Alexander, Z. (2021). Student voice in physical education and physical activity. In E. Centeio and R. Martinnen (Eds.), Before and After School Approaches to Physical Education and Physical Activity. Routledge. 227-238.
- Ressler, J. and Rodriguez, A. (2020). Possibilities for leadership in high school physical education. Strategies. 33(6), 50-52.
- Wahl-Alexander, Z. and Ressler, J. (2020). Recalibrating physical education in an era of physical activity. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance. 91 (7), 3-5.
- Jacobs, J., Richards, K.A.R., Wahl-Alexander, Z., and Ressler, J. (2019). Helping preservice teachers learn to negotiate sociopolitical relationships through a physical education teacher education outdoor education experience. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education. 38, 296-304.
- Lorson, K., Rider, B., Ressler, J., Ware, L., and Raffle, H., Blinsky, B., and Wainwright, A. (2019). Profile of middle school and high school physical education in Ohio. Future Focus. 39 (1), 15-22.
- Ressler, J., and Richards, K. A. R. (2019). Transforming in the visiting assistant professor role: Collaborative self-study research in physical education teacher education. Sport, Education and Society. 24 (5), 507-519.
- Wen, X. and Ressler, J. (2019). Investigating water safety education in China: Discoveries and direction for global improvement. International Journal of Sports Sciences and Health, 5(9-10), 144-149.
- Wright, P., Howell, S., Jacobs, J., and Ressler, J. (2018). Immediate outcomes and implementation of a sport for development coach education programme in Belize. Journal of Sport for Development, 6(10), 51-65.
Physical Activity and Life Skills Group
Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education
Anderson Hall 221
DeKalb, IL 60115