Laurie Zittel, Ph.D.
Professor, Adapted Physical Activity
Early childhood physical activity and movement skill assessment, curriculum design, and instruction for children with disabilities and those at risk for developmental delay
- Ph.D. Oregon State University, Movement Studies in Disability
- M.S.Ed University of Maine, Physical Education
- B.S. Valparaiso University, Physical Education
- Auxter, D., Pyfer, J., Zittel, L., & Roth, K. (2010) Principles and methods of adapted physical education (11th ed.). Dubuque, IA: McGraw Hill.
- Derscheid, L., Umoren, J., Kim, S., Henry, B. & Zittel, L. (2010). Early childhood teachers’ and staff members’ perceptions of nutrition and physical activity practices for preschoolers, Journal of Research in Childhood Education, 24, 248-265.
- Apples Video Magazine (June, 2012). Using Movement to Engage Young Learners: Featuring L.L. Zittel. Produced by STARNet Regions I & III. Operated under the Center for Best Practices in Early Childhood through ISBE Grant: 100% of annual funding from Federal sources.
- Zittel, L.L. (2011). Early Childhood Adapted Physical Education. In Winnick, J. (5th ed.) Adapted Physical Education & Sport (5th ed.). Chamapian, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Zittel, L.L. (Invited, 2012, August). Assessing Movement Skills of Preschool Children with Developmental Delays and / or Disabilities. Paper presented at 24th International Sports Science Congress. Mokpo University, South Korea.
- Zittel, L.L., & Kim, S-Y. (2012 - 2013). Field Testing the TAKE Action for Healthy Preschoolers Intervention. Joint Proposal with Henry, BW, Umoren, J., & Derscheid, LE. Great Journeys Assistantship. Funded. Northern Illinois University. $10,397.00
- Zittel, L.L., Kim, S.-Y., Derschied, L., Henry, B., & Umoren, J. (2012). Teachers’ Self-efficacy and Knowledge of Healthy Nutrition and Physical Activity Practices for Preschoolers: Curriculum Intervention. Research & Artistry, Funded. 2012. Northern Illinois University. $15,000.00
- Zittel, L.L. (2011 - 2012). Joint proposal with Henry, BW. TAKE Action for Healthy Preschoolers. Great Journeys Assistantship, Funded. Northern Illinois University. $10,397.00
- KNPE 490 - Adapted Physical Education
- KNPE 589 - Inclusion Strategies for Special Populations: Theory and Practice
- KNPE 590 - Physical Education for Individuals with Physical /Sensory Impairments
- KNPE 591 - Assessment and Program Planning in Adapted Physical Education
- KNPE 597K - Internship in Adapted Physical Education