Jenn Jacobs, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Sport and Exercise Psychology
Kinesiology and Physical Education
- Sport for incarcerated populations
- International sport for social change
- Sport for development
- Ph.D. Northern Illinois University, Educational Psychology
- M.S. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Sport Psychology
- B.S. University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Kinesiology
- Jacobs, J.M., Bennett, G., and Wahl-Alexander, Z. (in press). Counter Stories on the Meaning of Sport in the Lives of Black Youth who are Incarcerated. The Sociology of Sport: Special Issue on A Critical Examination of Race and Antiracism in the Sport for Development Field: Reimagining and Recreating Spaces for True Racial Inclusion and Equity.
- Wahl-Alexander., Z., and Jacobs, J.M. (in press). Physical Activity and Social Behaviors of Incarcerated Youth Participating in a Sports-Leadership Program. Journal of Correctional Health Care.
- Kuipers, K., Jacobs, J.M., Miossi, L., and Davis, J. (2022). Using social media to foster engagement and connection in sport psychology classrooms. Journal of Sport Psychology in Action, 13(4), 272-281. https://doi.org/10.1080/21520704.2022.2103221
- LeCrom, C., Jacobs, J.M. and Kuipers, K. (2022). Transformative learning abroad: The impacts of an international sport-focused trip on American girls. The Journal of Sport for Development, 10(2).
- Jacobs, J., and Wahl-Alexander, Z. (2021). Self-efficacy experiences of graduate students working in a sport-based leadership program at a youth prison. Child Adolescence Social Work Journal. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10560-021-00772-x
Recently Funded Projects
- ENVEST Tanzania: A boxing and football international exchange project in Tanzania (2022). U.S. Department of State Sports United Grant.
- Project FLEX (Fitness Leadership EXperience): a comprehensive evaluation of a sport education program for incarcerated youth (2020, 2021, 2022). Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice
- She Believes in Belize: The First National Women’s Sports Summit. Citizen Action Diplomacy Fund. (2019). U.S. Department of State
- Fighting for Better Body Image: A Boxing Body Empowerment Club for Middle School Girls. (2018). DeKalb Township Committee on Youth
- Alternative Spring BAE: Belizean Academic Experience for sport sciences students (2018). NIU College of Education Instructional Innovation Grant
- KNPE 310 - Psychological Aspects of Sport and Exercise
- KNPE 582 - Psychology of Sport and Exercise
- KNPE 583 - Psychology of Coaching
- KNPE 586 - Sport: Culture and Society
- KNPE 587 - Professional Preparation in Sport and Exercise Psychology Professions
Project FLEX Instagram
Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education
Anderson Hall 221
DeKalb, IL 60115