Paul M. Wright, Ph.D.
EC Lane and MN Zimmerman Endowed Professor
Presidential Engagement Professor
I specialize in the Teaching Personal and Social Responsibility (TPSR) instructional model. My scholarship is very applied and relates directly to fields such as positive youth development, social and emotional learning, and sport for development. I also have interests in policy and program evaluation as it relates to youth sport and physical activity.
- Ph.D. University of Illinois at Chicago, Education (Curriculum and Instruction)
- M.S. University of Illinois at Chicago, Kinesiology
- Ph.D. University of Illinois at Chicago, Biological Sciences
- Wright, P. M. and Richards, K.A.R. (2022). Social and emotional learning in physical education: Applications in school and community settings. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
- Toivonen, H. M., Hassandra, M., Wright, P. M., Hagger, M. S., Hankonen, N., Laine, K., and Lintunen, T. (2021). Feasibility of a responsibility-based leadership training program for novice physical activity instructors. Frontiers in Psychology. Online first at 5.
- Wright, P. M. and Shiver, V. N. (2021). Adding international resources to your advocacy toolbox. Strategies.
- Gordon, B., Wright, P. M., Hemphill, M. A., and Sauni, P. (2021). Inside the ‘black box' of a long-term sport-based youth development boxing academy in New Zealand. Sport in Society. Online first at
- Jacobs, J. and Wright, P. M. (2021). Thinking about the transfer of life skills: Reflections from youth in a community-based sport programme in an underserved urban setting. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 19(3), 380-394.
- Toivonen, H., Wright, P. M., Lintunen, T. et al. (2021). Training programme for novice physical activity instructors using teaching personal and social responsibility (TPSR) model: A programme development and protocol. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 19(2), 159-178.
- Wright, P. M., Henert, S., Looney, M., and Gregory, E. (2021). Correlating self-efficacy for teaching personal and social development with other aspects of physical educators' teaching self-efficacy. The Physical Educator, 78(2), 163-182.
- Vardaman, J. M., Amis, J. M., Wright, P. M., and Dyson, B. P. (2021). Reframing childhood obesity: The role of local communities in change implementation failure. Human Relations, 74(2), 258-285.
- Wright, P. M., Gray, S. and Richards, K. A. R. R. (2021). Understanding the interpretation and implementation of social and emotional learning in physical education. The Curriculum Journal, 32(1), 67-86.
- Jacobs, J. M., Kuipers, K. L., Richards, K. A. R., and Wright, P. M., (2020). Experiential learning of university students delivering a coaching workshop in Belize. Sport Management Education Journal, 14(2), 107-118.
- Santos, F, Miguel, J., Wright, P. M., Sá, C., and Saraiva, L. (2020). Exploring the impact of a TPSR program on transference of responsibility goals within a preschool setting: An action research study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health,17, 9449.
- Koutelidas, A., Digelidis, N., Syrmpas, I., Wright, P. M., and Goudas, M. (2020). Students' perceptions of responsibility in physical education: A qualitative study. Education 3-13: International Journal of Primary, Elementary and Early Years Education.
- Wright, P. M. and Walsh, D. (2020). Don Hellison's life and legacy: Introduction to the special issue. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 39(3), 286-288.
- Wright, P. M., Fuerniss, K., and Cutforth, N. (2020). Don Hellison's Scholarship Reconsidered. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 39(3), 311-320.
- Walsh, D. and Wright, P. M. (2020). Don Hellison's life and legacy: Concluding thoughts. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 39(3), 357-359.
- Dyson, B. P., Howley, D. F., Wright, P. M. (2020). A scoping review critically examining research connecting social and emotional learning with three model-based practices in physical education: Have we been doing this all along? European Physical Education Review.
- Melo, M., Santos, F., Wright, P. M., Sa, C., and Saraiva, L. (2020). Strengthening the connection between differentiated instruction strategies and teaching personal and social responsibility: Challenges, strategies and future pathways. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, 91(5), 28-36.
- Wright, P. M., Howell, S., Jacobs, J. M., and McLoughlin, G. (2020). Implementation and perceived benefits of an after-school soccer program designed to promote social and emotional learning. Journal of Amateur Sport, 6(1), 125-145.
- Wright, P. M., Gordon, B., and Gray, S. (2020, November 19). Social and emotional learning in the physical education curriculum. In Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Education. Oxford University Press.
- Project director, ENVEST Sri Lanka. A $50,158 sub-award from Virginia Commonwealth University as part of a cooperative agreement funded by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, 2017-2018.
- Project director, Belizean Youth Sport Coalition (BYSC): Promoting youth development and social change through sport, grant funded for $224,956 by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, 2013-2016.
- Project director, Youth Fit to Lead Project: Developing leadership through sport, action research grant for $5,000, funded by the C. Charles Jackson Foundation, 2013.
- Principal investigator on the Head Start Body Start National Center for Physical Development and Outdoor Play-Program Evaluation, funded by the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance for $164,000 from October 1, 2011 to September 29, 2012.
- Principal investigator, Promoting Positive Youth Development through Schools in Spain: An Implementation Study, Research Award for $24,000 from U.S. Fulbright Commission, 2010.
- Principal investigator, Evaluating the development and implementation of Head Start Body Start: The National Center for Physical development in Outdoor Play, external evaluation contracts for $196,960, funded by the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, 2009-2011.
- EPS 799: Doctoral Research and Dissertation
- KNPE 399: Youth Development through Physical Activity
- KNPE 445: Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education
- KNPE 449: Current Topics in Physical Education and Sport
- KNPE 569: Instructional Skills in Physical Education
- KNPE 671: Directed Research in Kinesiology and Physical Education
Physical Activity and Life Skills Group