Illinois Tutoring Initiative
COVID-19's ongoing disruption has taken a toll on the learning and social/emotional well-being of students in P-12 schools – and the Illinois Tutoring Initiative (ITI) stands ready to provide support.
One of four state pillars designed in conjunction with the Illinois P-20 Council's development of a Learning Renewal Resource Guide, the ITI will offer high-impact tutoring to foster academic recovery.
NIU serves as coordinator for Region 2, where school districts disproportionately impacted by the pandemic will receive priority.
The initiative will feature:
- Collaboration between institutions of higher education and school districts of need across the state
- High-impact tutoring practices for students in Grades 3-8 with focused one-on-one and small-group (maximum of three students) tutoring totaling three hours per week
- A combination of in-person and online tutoring
- Training, support and supervision of tutors.
We're Hiring Tutors
Ready to earn extra income, acquire skills for career growth, enjoy a rewarding experience and support the learning and social/emotional well-being of students?
- NIU students can apply via Huskies Get Hired. Please log in and search for Small Group Tutor, Illinois Tutoring Initiative.
- School district employees and community members can apply for Small Group Tutor positions from our NIU Human Resources website.
Small group tutors will be paid $50/hour.
Project Funding and State Support
This project is in collaboration with and funded, in whole or in part, by the Illinois State Board of Education and the Illinois Board of Higher Education supported with federal COVID-relief funds.