Student Fast Facts
Students in the NIU Department of Special and Early Education are preparing themselves to enable and empower unique populations – young children who need a solid foundation for their learning or people of all ages with various special needs. Many come to us fueled with personal motivation for these careers, a passion that drives their dedication to study and commitment to success.
- 95 percent are satisfied or very satisfied with their program.
- 97 percent feel prepared or very well prepared for future roles.
- 95 percent indicated early field experiences were helpful or very helpful.
- Over 95 percent of undergraduate candidates obtained jobs after graduation.
- Over 96 percent met or exceeded standards on rigorous assignments.
- 26 completed Honors projects.
- Seven co-authored six manuscripts with faculty.
- 34 co-presented 30 presentations with faculty.
- 162 completed internships in Illinois, Texas and abroad.
- 12 served on department and university committees.
- 102 lived in the TEACH House.
- 279 volunteered in the community.
- Our candidates far exceed the minimal number of hours in field experiences that the state requires.
- Our candidates are awarded over $20,000 in department scholarships annually.