How to Apply to the Master of Science in Athletic Training Program
- Dec. 1 – priority application deadline
- Rolling admission process until all cohort spots are filled
- Summer semester – classes begin
To be considered for admission to the M.S.A.T program, you must have the following admission requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by the time you enroll.
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 (out of 4.00)
You must achieve a minimum GPA of 3.00 (out of 4.00) in the following courses. You must complete the courses by the time you enroll.
- Human anatomy and physiology (8 semester hours preferred, 4 semester hours mixed course minimum)
- Psychology or sport psychology
While not required, it is highly recommended that students have successfully completed coursework in:
- Exercise physiology
- Human nutrition or sport nutrition
You must complete a limited admissions application, which will include the following:
- Letter of interest/Personal Statement
- Three letters of recommendation from:
- An athletic trainer
- An academic or work source
- A professional source of your choice
- Minimum of 50 observation hours with a BOC certified athletic trainer within the last 10 months prior to application
- Syllabi for all prerequisite courses
Qualified applicants will undergo a pre-admission interview. The GRE is not required for admission. Applicants will be ranked based on their overall GPA, the GPA of their prerequisite coursework, letters of recommendation, and interview performance.
You will be required to undergo a criminal background check in order to be placed at clinical experience sites. If you have a prior criminal record, you may not be able to complete the program or required courses.
You will submit two applications. The first is through the Athletic Training Centralized Application System (ATCAS).
For assistance with ATCAS, contact customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The second is the NIU Graduate School application, which comes with a $25 application fee. You only need to include the following on this application:
- Program of study (MSAT)
- Phone Number
The athletic training admissions committee will review all the applications and will invite select applicants for an interview. Applicants will be notified via email of an interview and the interview may occur face to face or via teleconference.
- Athletic Training (M.S.A.T.)