Ying Xie, Ph.D.
- Emerging technologies for reflective, higher-order learning, knowledge integration and group cognition
- The processes of mathematical problem posing from real life facilitated by technology tools
- Technology-assisted language learning
The Pennsylvania State University (PSU), University Park, PA
Ph.D. in Instructional Systems
Minor: Educational Psychology
University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), P.R.China
B.S. in Computer Science
B.A. in Foreign Languages
- ETT799 Doctoral Research and Dissertation
- ETT798 Research Seminar in Instructional Technology
- ETT743 Seminar Instructional Technology Problems
- ETT742 Seminar in Instructional Technology Research
- ETT741 Seminar in Instructional Technology Theory
- ETT558 Instructional Video I
- ETT536 Web-Based Learning
- ETT529 Theories of Instructional Design and Technology
- ETT501 Pro-seminar in Instructional Technology
- ETT310 Instructional Design Models, Strategies and Tactics
- Xie, Y., & Lin, S. (In press). Using word cloud to support students’ knowledge integration from online inquiry: An investigation of the process and outcome. Interactive Learning Environments.
- Lin, S., & Xie, Y. (In press). College students’ use of self-generated tagclouds on knowledge integration: Evidence from reflections. Journal of Computing in Higher Education.
- Lin. S., & Xie, Y. (2017). Effects of Tagcloud-anchored group discussions on preservice teachers’ collaborative knowledge construction. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 33(2), 73-85
- Xie, Y., & Lin, S. (2016). Tagclouds and group cognition: Effect of tagging support on students’ reflective learning in team blogs. British Journal of Educational Technology, 47(6),
- Ke, F., Xie, K., & Xie, Y. (2016). Game-based learning engagement: A theory- and data-driven exploration. British Journal of Educational Technology, 47(6), 1183-1201.
- Xie, Y., & Sharma, P. (2013). Examining students’ reflective thinking from keywords tagged to Blogs: Using map analysis as a content analysis method. Interactive Learning Environments, 21(6), 548-576.
- Yang, C., & Xie. Y. (2013). Learning Chinese idioms through iPads. Language Learning & Technology, 17(2), 12–23.
- Xie, Y., Coffland, D., & Yang, F. (2012). Effects of narrated heuristic feedback and gender on college students’ calculus problem solving performance. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 31(3), 311-330
- Xie, Y., & Sharma, P. (2011). Exploring evidence of reflective thinking in students’ artifacts of a blogging-mapping tool: A design-based research approach. Instructional Science, 39(5), 695-719
- Xie, Y., Ke. F., & Sharma, P. (2010). The effect of peer-interaction styles in team blogging on students’ cognitive thinking and blog participation. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 42(4), 459-479.
- Xie, Y., Ke. F., & Sharma, P. (2008). The effect of peer feedback for journaling on college students’ reflective thinking skills. The Internet and Higher Education, 11(1), 18-25.
Educational Technology, Research and Assessment
Gabel Hall 208
DeKalb, IL 60115